Travel certificate

Travel certificate

Foreign nationals who do not hold a (valid) travel document have to apply for a (replacement) travel document with the diplomatic representation of his country. Refusing to comply will result in an application submitted by the Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V).

A 'laissez passer' is a travel document with which the diplomatic representation of a country enables a citizen to travel back to the relevant country. Before a DT&V supervisor decides to apply for a laissez passer, he first checks whether the foreign national cannot leave the Netherlands in any other way. The DT&V requests the embassy or consulate of the (presumed) country of origin to issue the travel document as soon as it becomes clear that a foreign national has to leave the Netherlands and that he requires a laissez passer for this purpose.

Presentation in person

Most diplomatic representations wish to have a personal meeting with the foreign national within the context of the laissez passer application. This is referred to as a 'presentation in person'. They want this meeting to ensure that the foreign national is actually from the country he claims to be. Download the information sheet at the bottom of this page for more information on the presentation in person.

Sensitive information

The DT&V does neither enclose asylum-related information with the application for a laissez passer, nor do the officials of the DT&V answer questions asked by the diplomatic representation during the presentation that could be sensitive in connection with the foreign national's asylum application in the Netherlands. It is up to the foreign national to decide whether he wants to answer the questions about his residence background asked by his diplomatic representative or whether he wants to surrender documents in respect thereof. Foreign nationals are not obliged to answer such questions.

A personal interview with your consulate or embassy in order to obtain (replacement) travel documents

This fact sheet provides you with information on the personal interview with your consulate or embassy. The supervisor will receive the invitation for this interview on your behalf. The supervisor will inform you about the invitation, and will arrange with you for transport to the consulate or embassy.