Request for assistance

Request for assistance

The Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V) can provide assistance to foreign nationals who do not hold the right travel documents and who wish to leave the Netherlands. If the person concerned fails to obtain a travel document from his or her embassy or consulate that is required for departure, the DT&V can mediate on behalf of the foreign national. In order to start this process, the foreign national has to submit a request for assistance to the DT&V.

A foreign national (or his authorised representative) submits a request for assistance by sending the form 'Request for assistance' to the DT&V. This form is available in English and French at the bottom of this page.

The foreign national encloses the following information with the request for assistance:

  • Documentation he uses to demonstrate/make a plausible case that he has been unsuccessful in obtaining these travel documents, for example a statement from his embassy.
  • Documentation he uses to demonstrate/make a plausible case with regard to his identity and nationality, for example copies of identity papers, school diplomas or similar documents, originating from his country.
  • Four colour passport photos.
  • A handwritten statement by the foreign national in his own language, addressed to his diplomatic representation. In this statement, the foreign national writes that he wishes to leave the Netherlands, return to his country of origin and that he wishes to obtain travel documents enabling him to return. In this statement, he will also write his name and other personal data and he will sign the statement. If this statement is missing, the DT&V can not submit the request for assistance.

Travelling certificate

After receiving the request for assistance, the documentation and the handwritten statement, the DT&V draws up a request for the issue of a replacement travel document, together with the foreign national. This document is referred to as a 'laissez passer' (travelling certificate). The DT&V subsequently submits the full application to the relevant diplomatic representation and provides an explanation on behalf of the foreign national if necessary. 

For whom?

A foreign national can submit a request for assistance on behalf of him/herself, his/her spouse or any children they may have. A representative can also submit a request for assistance on behalf of the foreign national.


Please fill in this form (in English or French) if you wish to submit a request for assistance.