Costs of replacement documents

An inadmissible foreign national who does not (or no longer) holds a valid travel document, can usually return on the basis of a covering letter or a guiding letter. This is based on international agreements.

However, some countries refuse to accept these documents. Also the agreements don’t apply for someone who is transported by sea to the Netherlands without a valid travel document. If returning on the basis of a covering or guiding letter is not an option, it will be necessary to apply for a replacement travel document for the foreign national.

The carrier may arrange for this travel document at the diplomatic representation of the foreign national's country of origin or may opt to submit the request to the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee. The latter will then forward the application to the DT&V.

The DT&V reserves the right to apply for a replacement travel document on its own initiative, with the purpose of speeding up the return journey of the foreign national. If the foreign national eventually uses this replacement travel document for his return journey, the costs of the application will be recovered from the carrier. If, for his return journey, the foreign national uses a replacement travel document which has been obtained due to the efforts of the carrier itself, any costs incurred by the Repatriation and Departure Service will not be charged.


The costs for applying for a replacement travel document by DT&V consist of a fixed fee for the application process and a variable fee for the travel document to be issued (laissez passer or emergency passport). Any other costs may also be charged, such as interpreting costs and costs for the transport of the foreign national to his diplomatic representative in order to be presented in person.

See the list of rates for the actual rates.

Sample calculations

See also the sample calculations for a better understanding of the costs of replacement travel documents.