Travel certificate

If there are no possiblities to have the foreign national travel back, a (replacement) travel document or laissez passer is neccessary. A 'laissez-passer' is a travel document with which the diplomatic representation of a country enables a citizen to travel back to the relevant country.

Foreign nationals can apply for a replacement travel document themselves. In case they fail to get a replacement travel certificate this way, they can ask for assistance of DT&V.

Before a DT&V supervisor decides to apply for a laissez-passer, he first checks whether the foreign national cannot leave the Netherlands in any other way. The DT&V requests the embassy or consulate of the (presumed) country of origin to issue the travel document as soon as it becomes clear that a foreign national has to leave the Netherlands and that he requires a laissez-passer for this purpose.

No sensitive information

The DT&V does neither enclose asylum-related information with the application for a laissez passer, nor do the officials of the DT&V answer questions asked by the diplomatic representation that could be sensitive in connection with the foreign national's asylum application in the Netherlands. It is up to the foreign national to decide whether he wants to answer the questions about his residence background asked by his diplomatic representative or whether he wants to surrender documents in respect thereof. Foreign nationals are not obliged to answer such questions.

Presentation in person

Most diplomatic representations wish to have a personal meeting (eventually by phone) with the foreign national within the context of the laissez-passer application. This is referred to as a 'presentation in person'. They want this meeting to ensure that the foreign national is actually from the country he claims to be. Download the information sheet at the bottom of this page for more information on the presentation in person. This fact sheet provides you with information on the personal interview with your consulate or embassy. The supervisor will receive the invitation for this interview on your behalf. The supervisor will inform you about the invitation, and will arrange with you for transport to the consulate or embassy.