Return possiblities

In order to be able to return to his country of origin (or to depart to another country that will accept him), a foreign national requires in principle travel documents, for example, a passport. It has become clear in practice that foreign nationals sometimes do not hold or no longer hold valid travel documents. In such cases, there are several possibilities to have a foreign national travel.

The supervisor departure checks which documents the foreign national possesses and the possiblities to have him travel. If neccessary an application will be started for a replacement travel document.

A valid or expired travel document

If the foreign national is in possession of valid travel documents the supervisor can book a flight or have one booked and the foreign national can leave the Netherlands using his own travel documents.
Some countries permit their citizens to return on the basis of an expired travel document.

Standard EU travel document for expulsion of third-country nationals
Foreign nationals can sometimes travel on a so-called standard EU travel document. This is a travel document that may be issued by the Dutch government.

Claim carrier

A foreign national who is refused at the border and has to return can sometimes be taken back by the carrier who brought him to the Netherlands. You will find more information on Duty to return.

Re-admission agreement

A re-admission agreement has been concluded with several countries. It contains agreements concerning the readmission of citizens and taking over foreign nationals originating from those countries.


If a foreign national has already applied for asylum in another country, the country where the initial request for asylum was submitted will be obligated to take the foreign national back.